Saturday, December 31, 2011

The Halfling's Dilemma.

A group of friends, my lover and a stranger band together to assist in my unicorn metamorphosis. Everyone is eager about this transformation, including myself. My hair becomes what would be my horn and mane. They fashion me a tail and hoofs, piecing odds and ends together with purple ribbon and transparent thread. We walk to a park on a nice day, doing our work in the sun for a change. I overhear the stranger talking to the group about how she feels anyone could be a unicorn, but she believes it to be a form of escapism. I chime in to say it's not so much a choice of physical appearance, but a shift in your consciousness and a change of heart. She argues against me, stating it's much like when I decided to alter my sexual preference. During our conversation, no one else voices their opinion. This solemn girl refuses to recognize my feelings as sincere, which is hurtful. I glance around for support from my peers, my friends, my lover, but they remain stone-faced. I run, no---I gallop off into the wilderness, and I am not pursued. Half unicorn, half human, I glance at my phone awaiting contact from my lover, but the screen remains blank. I gaze into a pond at my incomplete horn, which teeters back and forth. I feel lost, lonely, lucid. What is a halfling to do? I wander further still, cutting through fog with my feeble extremity. It starts to snow. I nuzzle my tail into my face; my security blanket. In reaching for my phone, I accidentally drop it to the ground. The screen flashes and reboots and I suddenly realize it has been off this entire time. Once it returns to the main screen I am bombarded with a plethora of panicked text messages and misses calls from my lover. She is searching for me. She explains her silence, admitting that her lack of response stemmed from her inability to understand the words that escaped me. I hadn't realized my outburst had taken the form of the language of my half-species. But why then was the stranger able to translate my blubberings? I turn hard and trace my steps back. I must reunite with my lover, wherever she may be. I am ashamed of my lack of belief in her; my foolish run-away. In one of her voice-mails she confesses that after I fled, she stood up for me. She need not understand my unicorn-speak, for she knows the language of my heart. She feels foolish for ever doubting me, for not allowing her feet to follow my own. I am running as fast as my four legs will carry me. My mane whips through the wind. The remains of my clothes trail behind me, like a layer of unwanted skin being shed. I stop short. Before me stands my beloved creature. She has eyes like mine, sharing the same tears. I rest my head on her velvety shoulder, "What took you so long?" She pushes her face onto my own, she whimpers, "The path was long and lonesome. The trail was treacherous and scattered with shards of you. I walked on as my own body crumbled. I lost my flesh, my bones, my blood." I blink hard, fluttering my lashes on her cheek, "Then why...?" She wraps her limbs around me, "So you would no longer be the only unicorn in the woods."

2 comments: